Literary Birthday - 25 May
Happy Birthday, Ralph Waldo Emerson, born 25 May 1803, died 27 April 1882
- The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.
- A man is what he thinks about all day long.
- Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes.
- Imagination is not a talent of some men, but is the health of every man.
- Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
- Next to the originator of a good sentence is the first quoter of it.
- Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing.
- Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year.
- To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
- Art is a jealous mistress.
- If we encounter a man of rare intellect, we should ask him what books he reads.
- Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect.
- I cannot remember the books I’ve read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.
- What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
- When it is dark enough, you can see the stars.
Emerson was an American essayist, lecturer, and poet, who led the Transcendentalist movement of the mid-19th century.
My dog looks like a fuzzy penis. That is all, bye.
i sat here laughing for like ten minutes
I almost had a heart attack last night while my husband and I were lying in bed reading and his entire body starts shaking. I’m all ARE YOU OK ARE YOU HAVING A SEIZURE ARE YOU CRYING WHATS HAPPENING
and then i realize he’s just laughing hysterically- so hard that he CANT MAKE NOISE
And I go: Are you thinking about that damn penis dog again?
him: *silent nodding while he claps like a retarded seal*
Richmond, VA, 23235
This is my cat Butterball, whom I’ve had since he was born. (I helped deliver him.) He’s a very good cat, and very important to me. However, I am going to be homeless starting on the 29th of May— I won’t have any way to support him or a place to keep him.
I love him very much, and I don’t want to take him to an animal shelter— I’d much rather see him go directly to a loving home, so I’m hoping that someone in the area can take him in. (In the future, if it’s possible, I’d really like to get him back, but as long as he’s with a loving family…)
He is an orange and white adult (older, but not elder) male cat who has been neutered. He’s very smart, and knows several words, including ‘no,’ ‘food,’ ‘snicker snacks (treats)’ ‘outside,’ and ‘lay down’. He’s litterbox trained but prefers the outside. He’s usually too lazy to hunt, but he loves to cuddle with people and is a very affectionate cat. He also loves people food, and is a terrible begger— and be careful if you have roast beef around him, he’ll go straight for it!
His health is good, but he sneezes a lot and sometimes likes wet cat food when he can get it because he is missing some teeth. (This is not a requirement, but he’ll love you for it!)
He’s a very lovely cat, and he deserves to find a loving home. Please, if you’re in the area and can possibly adopt him, please send me an ask and I’ll give you contact details to reach me. If you can’t, I humbly ask that you reblog this— I trust tumblr to help me find someone loving for him.
Signal boost, y’all.
signal boost for my dc/va/md folks
Signal boost, my dog isn’t cat friendly otherwise I’d be begging my parents to take him in….
SIGNAL BOOST! I don’t usually do these but I live in Richmond so I know people who follow me do to … If I didn’t think my cat would try to kill him (like she almost did to the next door neighbor’s cat) I would try my best to convince my parents.
Please save the kitty?
As many of you know, I recently purchased an Uruk-Hai scimitar.
Well let me tell you, it was quite the pragmatic purchase. It has endless uses in my morning routine.
Such as making the bed:
Getting things off high shelves:
Reaching the remote when it’s too far away:
And assisting me when I ran out of toilet paper:
I don’t know how I survived life without it.
The Frogman: Winning at Tumblr.
PRO TIP: When you voluntarily choose to follow a person on Twitter, or subscribe to their Facebook, or add them to your Tumblr dash, you are not granted some sort of inalienable right to demand anything from them, least of all what they post.
It’s all opt-in, kids, and if it isn’t enjoyable for you, unsubscribe or unfollow*, and we can all happily get on with our lives.
*without the announcement; you really don’t need to make the announcement, children.